Introduction to Unix
Knowledge of the Unix operating system is fundamental to being productive on HPC systems such as those offered by Melbourne Bioinformatics. This workshop will introduce you to the fundamental Unix concepts by way of a series of hands-on exercises.
In particular you will learn how to do the following things:
- Log into a Unix machine remotely
- Organise your files into directories
- Change file permissions to improve security and safety
- Create and edit files with a text editor
- Copy files between directories
- Use command line programs to manipulate files
- Automate your workflow using shell scripts
The workshop is facilitated by experienced Unix users who will be able to guide you through the exercises and offer assistance where needed. The workshop is intended for beginners with no prior experience in Unix. Attendees are required to bring their own laptop computers.