Assoc Prof Torsten SeemannExpert advisor to Melbourne Bioinformatics, Lead Bioinformatician, Microbial Genomics at Peter Doherty Institute
Assoc Prof Daniel ParkLead, Melbourne Bioinformatics Platform
Dr Matthew WakefieldExpert advisor to Melbourne Bioinformatics, Senior Research Fellow based at WEHI
Dr Wakefield applies genomic and computational biology techniques to understanding the basis of resistance to ovarian cancer treatments, and the development of novel treatments to overcome this resistance. He provides expert opinion and supervision for the design and analysis of functional genomics experiments, including RNAseq.
Dr Dieter BulachSenior Research Scientist
Dieter is an experienced bioinformatician specialising in microbial genomics. He is currently working on the microGVL and SEPSIS projects.
Dr Gayle PhilipResearch Scientist
- BSc(Hons) National University of Ireland
- PhD National University of Ireland
Dr Chol-Hee JungResearch Scientist
- BSc, University of Korea, South Korea
- MSc, University of Korea, South Korea
- PhD, University of Queensland, QLD, Australia
Joo J.E., E.M. Wong, L. Baglietto, C.H. Jung, H. Tsimiklis, et al. 2013. The use of DNA from archival dried blood spots with the Infinium HumanMethylation450 array. BMC Biotechnol 13: 23.
Jung C.H., C.E. Wong, M.B. Singh, P.L. Bhalla. 2012. Comparative genomic analysis of soybean flowering genes. PLoS One 7: e38250.
Jung, C.H., M.A. Hansen, I.V. Makunin, D.J. Korbie, and J.S. Mattick. 2010. Identification of novel non-coding RNAs using profiles of short sequence reads from next generation sequencing data. BMC Genomics 11: 77.
Jung, C.H., I.V. Makunin and J.S. Mattick. 2010. Identification of conserved Drosophila-specific euchromatin-restricted noncoding sequence motifs. Genomic 96: 154-166.
Lee, B.M., Y.J. Park, D.S. Park, H.W. Kang, J.G. Kim, E.S. Song, I.C. Park, U.H. Yoon, J.H. Hahn, B.S. Koo, G.B. Lee, H. Kim, H.S. Park, K.O. Yoon, J.H. Kim, C.H. Jung, N.H. Koh, J.S. Seo, and S.J. Go. 2005. The genome sequence of Xanthomonas oryzae pathovar oryzae KACC10331, the bacterial blight pathogen of rice. Nucleic Acids Res 33: 577-586
Seo, J.S., H. Chong, H.S. Park, K.O. Yoon, C. Jung, J.J. Kim, J.H. Hong, H. Kim, J.H. Kim, J.I. Kil, C.J. Park, H.M. Oh, J.S. Lee, S.J. Jin, H.W. Um, H.J. Lee, S.J. Oh, J.Y. Kim, H.L. Kang, S.Y. Lee, K.J. Lee, and H.S. Kang. 2005. The genome sequence of the ethanologenic bacterium Zymomonas mobilis ZM4. Nat Biotechnol 23: 63-68.
Dr Khalid MahmoodResearch Scientist
- BSc(Hons), KFUPM
- MSc, Monash University
- PhD, Monash University
- Reboul CF, Mahmood K, Whisstock JC, Dunstone MA. (2012) Predicting giant transmembrane β-barrel architecture. Bioinformatics, 15;28(10):1299-302. Epub 2012 Mar 30. [Epub ahead of print]
- Mahmood K, Webb GI, Song J, Whisstock JC, Konagurthu AS. (2011) Efficient large-scale protein sequence comparison and gene matching to identify orthologs and co-orthologs. Nucleic Acids Res, 40(6): e44.
- Song J, Tan H, Boyd SE, Shen H, Mahmood K, Webb GI, Akutsu T, Whisstock JC, Pike RN. (2011) Bioinformatic approaches for predicting substrates of proteases. J Bioinform Comput Biol. 9(1):149-78. Review.
- Mahmood, K., Konagurthu, A.S., Song, J., Buckle, A.M., Webb, G.I. and Whisstock, J.C. (2010) EGM: encapsulated gene-by-gene matching to identify gene orthologs and homologous segments in genomes, Bioinformatics, 26(17), 2076-2084.
- Tools: EGM
- Song J, Tan H, Shen H, Mahmood K, Boyd SE, Webb GI, Akutsu T, Whisstock JC (2010) Cascleave: towards more accurate prediction of caspase substrate cleavage sites. Bioinformatics, 26(6):752-760.
- Song J, Tan H, Mahmood K, Law RH, Buckle AM, Webb GI, Akutsu T, Whisstock J.C. (2009) Prodepth: predict residue depth by support vector regression approach from protein sequences only. PLoS One, 4(9):e7072.
- Ashley M. Buckle, David Abramson, Abdullah A. Amin, Mark Bate, Anthony Beitz, Colin Enticott, Noel Faux, Khalid Mahmood, Matthew Swift, Andrew Treloar and Whisstock., J.C. (2007) eResearch Solutions for High Throughput Structural Biology. 3rd IEEE International Conference on e-Science and Grid Computing. IEEE Computer Society, Bangalore, India.
- Faux, N.G., Huttley, G.A., Mahmood, K., Webb, G.I., Garcia de la Banda, M. and Whisstock, J.C. (2007) RCPdb: An evolutionary classification and codon usage database for repeat-containing proteins, Genome Research, 17, 1118-1127.
- Fenalti, G., Law, R.H., Buckle, A.M., Langendorf, C., Tuck, K., Rosado, C.J., Faux, N.G., Mahmood, K., Hampe, C.S., Banga, J.P., Wilce, M., Schmidberger, J., Rossjohn, J., El-Kabbani, O., Pike, R.N., Smith, A.I., Mackay, I.R., Rowley, M.J. and Whisstock, J.C. (2007) GABA production by glutamic acid decarboxylase is regulated by a dynamic catalytic loop, Nat Struct Mol Biol, 14, 280-286.
- Fulton, K.F., Bate, M.A., Faux, N.G., Mahmood, K., Betts, C. and Buckle, A.M. (2007) Protein Folding Database (PFD 2.0): an online environment for the International Foldeomics Consortium, Nucleic Acids Res, 35, D304-307.
Dr Clare SloggettResearch Scientist
Mr Patrick GarnautSoftware Developer (Bioinformatics)
Mr Anthony MartyTechnology Manager and Project Lead, Melbourne Genomics (at WEHI)
Mr James USoftware Developer
Mr Lupiya MujalaSoftware Developer
Mr Simon GladmanResearch Scientist
Dr Mailie GallBioinformatician
Ms Jessica ChungBioinformatician (Research Assistant)
Dr Nuwan GoonasekeraSoftware Engineer
Nuwan is a software engineer at Melbourne Bioinformatics. His research interests include software fault isolation, software design and cloud computing. He is currently working primarily on expanding the cloudman cluster computer platform’s capabilities on Nectar and EC2 clouds. In the past, he worked as a senior software engineer at Industrial & Financial systems, developing enterprise applications. Nuwan’s role is to offer technical support for all aspects of the Genomics Virtual Laboratory.